MSF ACADEMY WEBSITE PRIVACY NOTICE
1. About this Privacy Notice
At MSF we make sure we protect the information you give us. References to “we” or “us” are to MSF Belgium (Charity Registration Number: 421.446.093), Rue de l’Arbre Bénit, 46, 1050 Brussels, Belgium.
This privacy notice is written in accordance with relevant data protection legislation including the General Data Protection Regulation and sets out how MSF Belgium collects, uses and stores personal data, including via its website academy.msf.org.
If you’ve any questions, please contact our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com.
2. When do we collect information about you?
We collect information:
- when you give it to us directly
- when you use our website, through cookies
We use “cookies” to identify you when you visit our website.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files that are transferred from the website to your computer, phone or tablet. Websites store cookies on your internet browser (Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer, for example) when you visit. Every time you return to the site and navigate around it picks up these bits of information. There are several types of cookie and they each have different functions and uses. Some cookies can be really helpful and most websites rely on them in order to work properly and to understand what their users do when they visit.
3. What information do we collect?
- Contacting MSF: If you choose to contact us through the contact form available on the Website for any reason, we will collect the information you voluntarily provide to us, which includes name and email address.
We may automatically collect the following information with regard to each of your visits to the Website:
- Technical information, including the operating system and platform, browser type and version;
- Details of your visits to the Website, including but not limited to: every ‘HTTP Query’ your browser client sent to our server(s); the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from the Website (including date and time); page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data. This information does not identify you.
4. How do we use your information?
As a general rule, your personal data will not be used for any other purpose than those for which they were voluntarily provided to us. Your personal data are shared or transferred to third parties if such sharing or transfer is authorised by you or required to achieve the purposes for which you have provided them to us. It means that our trusted service providers may have technical access to your personal data for the sole reason of providing their services to MSF.
Personal data may also be shared with third parties when required by law or by a court order.
Your Personal Information may be used in the following ways:
- If you have contacted us via the contact details provided on our Website, we will use the information you have provided, including your email address, to respond to your inquiry.
- Your information may also be used for technical purposes, including:
- To ensure that content from the Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer
- statistical purposes.
5. Who has access to your data?
Your information is only accessible by trained staff. We regularly review who has access to your information. We do checks on any contractors before we work with them. We always put a contract in place that sets out how they manage the personal data they collect or have access to.
Disclosure of information
We will not share your Personal Information with any other company or third party without your consent.
6. How do we keep your information safe?
We use reasonable precautions to protect your Personal Information and to store it securely. Our Website has a secure SSL certificate, a global standard security technology that enables encrypted communication between the web browser and the web server.
7. How long do we keep your information?
We keep your information for as long as it’s necessary in connection with the purposes defined above in “How do we use your information?”.
8. Our legal basis for processing personal data
Organisations need a lawful basis to collect and use personal data under data protection law. The law allows for six ways to process personal data (and additional ways for sensitive personal data). Three of these are relevant to the types of processing that MSF carries out:
- A person’s consent (e.g. to send you direct marketing by e-mail or SMS);
- Processing that is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation (e.g. to process a gift aid declaration); and
- Our legitimate interests (please see below for more information).
Our legitimate interests may include:
- Charity Governance; including delivery of our charitable purposes, statutory and financial reporting and other regulatory compliance purposes;
- Administration and operational management; including responding to solicited enquires, providing information and services, research, events management, the administration of volunteers and employment and recruitment requirements.
If you’d like to change our use of your personal data in this manner, please get in touch with us using the details above.
9. How can you change your information, and can you access it?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to:
- Update your personal information
- Change your personal information
- Change your contact preferences
10. When do we update this notice?
We change this Privacy Notice when we need to. If we make any significant changes in the way we treat your personal information we’ll make this clear on our websites.
Last updated on 26 April 2023.